I’ve probably setup, used and abandoned half a dozen blogs through the years. Here’s how my thought process usually goes:
“I know! I’ll set up a new blog! I’ll totally make posts constantly about all the cool projects I’m working on, and all the new technology I’m using. It’ll be great!”
This is how it always starts.
Then, reality sets in and I realize I’m not very good at WRITING. I lose all motivation to make posts. I abandon projects. I get busy or apathetic. I don’t expect anything different for this blog.
That said, one of my most recent projects is restoring a “The Simpsons” arcade machine (by Konami):
This is what they look like. I bought one at an arcade auction recently with plans to totally overhaul it and get it looking and functioning like a new machine. It’s a lot of work, but it should be fun (and hopefully profitable). I’ll make posts about my progress as I go along. This will be the first one.
So I neglected to take any actual “Before” pictures of my cabinet (the picture to the left here is one I found on the web, not mine). I didn’t really plan on documenting the restoration process before I started, I just jumped into the work.
So far I’ve removed the control panel and the monitor. Removing these makes the cabinet much easier to move around because its lighter and less wide (by about 6 inches or so). Here’s a couple picture of the machine without the monitor and control panel (and the back access panel):
For me, the next step was to remove the Side Art and the T-molding. T-molding is easy to remove usually and just requires grabbing it with a pair of pliers and pulling it out. On some RARE occasions, T-molding is stapled or glued into its slot. In these cases, I suggest simply giving up. It’s a ROYAL pain in the ass to remove T-molding that is stapled or glued in. Luckily for me, my molding pulled right out.
Removing side art from an arcade cabinet is a mixed bag. Sometimes, the art is painted on (like in older Ms. Pacman cabinets). In these cases, if you choose to remove the art, it’ll require sanding (or chemically stripping) the old paint off.
Sometimes you get vinyl decal style side art. The Simpsons arcade cabinets shipped with this type of side art. Once in a blue moon, you come across an arcade cabinet with vinyl side art that just peels right off in one big chunk. Mine however, did not. In fact, I’ve been working on it for a couple days now and still haven’t finished peeling the damn stuff off. I’m using my razor scraper and a LOT of patience to slowly peel off the art without marring the wood that lies beneath. Here’s how the progress looks:
After the art is fully removed, comes the cabinet repair and sanding to prep for new side art (which I’ve already acquired). Stay tuned!